World Psychiatric Association Section for Affective Disorders
The International Society for Affective Disorders (ISAD) represents the World Psychiatric Association Section for Affective Disorders. ISAD is hosted at the world renowned Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London. The ISAD Administrator, Caroline Loveland, also supports the administration of the section.
Prof Jan Scott, University of Newcastle, UK, is the current chair of the section.
Prof Sagar Parikh, University of Toronto is Co-Chair
Prof Gregor Hasler, University of Bern is Secretary
What is a WPA Section?
The Sections are the scientific backbone of the WPA. They cover practically every aspect of psychiatry and enjoy a great degree of independence within the framework of the WPA Statutes and By-Laws under the supervision and guidance of the Secretary for Sections.
How is a WPA Section organised?
The Sections hold elections every three years to elect Chair, Co-chair, and Secretary as well as five more committee members. Clustering of Sections, on the basis of common interest and activities, is encouraged. The purpose of the clusters of Sections is to promote collaboration among Sections, produce consensus or position statements, organize joint research and collaborate in joint scientific activities within meetings organized by the WPA and by other scientific organizations. The activity and productivity of each Section (e.g. symposia, publications, educational programs and consensus statements) are subject to evaluation by the Secretary for Sections and the Executive Committee.
What does a WPA Section do?
The purposes of the Sections, in accordance with item 29 of the existing By-Laws, follow:
(a) The collection, analysis, presentation and dissemination of information concerning services, research and training in the various fields of psychiatry and mental health and the advancement of scientific knowledge in these fields;
(b) The Sections will achieve these purposes by the:
- Establishment of working relations with national and international organizations sharing the goals of the WPA in the field of the Section, with a view to achieving better coordination of activities of interest to the Section and the WPA;
- Organization of scientific meetings on topics of interest to the Section;
- Organization of Symposia dealing with the Section's specialty, at World and Regional Congresses as well as at Regional Meetings organized under the auspices of the WPA;
- Development of educational programs, guidelines and publications;
- Developing of proposals for adoption as WPA consensus and position statements;
- Promotion and conduction of international collaborative research.